Thursday, May 1, 2008

Driving The Economy

Today as I was leaving work, I decided to act on an impulse I’d been having all day. For one day only, I would pretend that spending my money was ok. It’s never easy for me to part with my money. However, paying for 2 households sort of takes care of it for me each month, regardless.

The thing that started all of it was that I’ve got a work conference coming up Sunday through Tuesday, and I wanted to get a haircut before then. The difference was that I splurged and went to a salon to get my hair cut, instead of just having it cut at the local Fantastic Sam’s (cheap, serviceable haircuts for those who aren’t familiar with them). Then, while I was there, I also purchased some leave-in conditioner, which I was nearly out of. With tip, my total was $53. Comparing this to my haircut I’ve been getting at $18 including tip had me taking a few deep breaths as I paid my bill.

Walking out, I felt good though. I deny myself many times, always just get by with what I’ve already got or take the cheapest route all the time. I felt so good, I decided there was only one thing I could do: hit the mall!

I wanted to get myself some kind of cool new shirt to wear at the conference. Also, I’ve been contemplating starting running, and was thinking about getting some new running shoes. I started out with looking at shoes. As I was trying on some, walking around to test them a bit, I saw a pair of tan casual shoes on the clearance rack that were calling to me. I tried them on and they fit fine, and were only $19.99 too. I left the running shoes behind and paid for my clearance shoes.

As I wandered around, I tried, I really did, but not much was appealing to me. I found a clearance shirt for $2.60, the boxers I wear were on sale, so 2 pair at $5 each, and the big purchase, the new shirt for the conference, was a whopping $13.99. At least it matched the casual shoes I got and could be part of having a new outfit to wear. I even went into the higher priced stores, to see what they had to offer, but again, not much looked good to me. I did see one cool lightweight sweater, but the clearance price was still $56, which even this new carefree me couldn’t justify.

I left the mall, glad that I hadn’t lost all my senses. I decided that I could make do with the 2 pair of running shoes I already own and just wear for everyday use until I prove to myself that I might actually stick to running. So, with the day’s total at just under $100, I figure I’ve done my part for the new few months to keep this economy moving.

3 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

Running! I can't wait to hear more about this!

You are funny with the not spending money. I had forgotten about that. I do that for myself, but am ok with spending for my kids. I'm still a little cheap, but I suppose that is good to keep us within budget. But every once in a while you need to treat yourself too. I'm glad you did even though it ended up all being on sale!

Delton said...

Yeah, the running thing should be interesting. I need to do something to get more active, and that seems like a good way to get started.

As for the money thing, I don't think I've always been that way, just that circumstances have dictated that I really clamp down on the discretionary spending. Believe me, I'd love to really go crazy sometimes, I just can't.

24/7...and other stories said...

we all deserve to spend money on ourselves especially if it is a little something to give us a lift or help us be better at what we do (like running). I cringe every time I buy a pair of new running shoes (every 3-4 months) at close to $100 a pop, depending on what I find. And good for you on the salon! (p.s. I do the same thing, I find $5 markdown clothes and feel like I won the lottery when it started out at $80!)