Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Joe Versus the Volcano

Just a quick note tonight before I head off to bed.

I had a little better day today. I got to talk for a while with the person who got the promotion at work. He's a friend, so that makes things a bit easier. It wasn't any problem with him that I was feeling yesterday. He understands some of the issues I've been facing at work and is willing to work with me to help solve them. I can't ask for much more than that.

I decided to watch Joe Versus the Volcano, my favorite movie, this evening to bring my spirits up. I was in college when I first saw it, and even then the story of Joe's struggles resonated with me. Not much has changed in how I react to it even though it's been 16 years. I knew then about the office Joe worked in, wondering how to avoid losing one's soul as he almost did, trying to find the right clothes, taking the leap of faith like they do, and trying to get away from the things of man; these are the things I somehow knew back then were the issues I'd struggle with my whole life.

Here I am at 34, with a great family, a good, stable job, a nice home, etc. Yet I'm still lost, still searching for the right clothes, desperately clinging to my soul. Only difference is, instead of Joe's "brain cloud", I'm having heart palpitations.

No comments: